Time to get seed started.

God Bless America

God Bless America
If you don't think so, maybe you should leave

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Planting Onions

The onion planting has started. We really hope to finish this week. Rain has stopped the planting for now. I am not going to gripe about the rain (much), I know we will be wishing for it soon enough. As most of you know our Texas summers can be really brutal. We have some plants started in the greenhouse, not as many as in the past. Several factors are at play here. The cost of supples, fuel, seed, fertilizer etc. Talking to our buyers they are not willing to pay any more than 2010 prices. They also blame fuel prices. As a small grower I don't see how we can keep on farming for a living. Selling direct to the consumer would might work. The only trouble with that is we live in an area with not many people. I think we all will be growing our own food before long. I feel sorry for folk that live in city's, and haven't a clue as to how grow plants. Does this sound like I am worried? Yeah, I am.
Onion Planting

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Are those Texas Sweet Onions? I can only hope I get lucky enough to find the starts this year. Everyone I spoke with around here last year had a bad turn-out on their onions - period. I guess it was all the crazy weather.

I hear Texas can expect drought - very rough one at that. By any chance - have you installed the aerobic water recovery system? I think it would be a very worthwhile investment.

I'll be keeping y'all in my prayers.